Accueil Forums Questions sur les bateaux Edel Questions sur l’Edel 4 Renovation of the interior edel4

Étiqueté : 

• Ce sujet contient 8 réponses, 3 participants et a été mis à jour pour la dernière fois par marinou, le il y a 7 années et 2 mois. Ce sujet a été consulté 584 fois
9 sujets de 1 à 9 (sur un total de 9)
  • Auteur
    jazmi
    Participant
    Mousse

Along with reparing that rotten support for the mast in the cabin when I pull out the boat after new year I’m thinking about renovating a bit on the insine. I know that lots of people already wrote about interior renovation but I have some questions.
    As this was very rainy outumn in Rijeka, Croatia I realized that my boat is leaking too much water so I’ve decided to replace windows (very nice articles on this site regarding that subject) and I need to find out from where it is leaking in the front cabin. Could it be from the fence? I guess the fence is screwed in wood, isn’t it? But all that moisture in boat has made me think about removing the wrap, that some sort of fabric, that goes from bed up to that wooden slat beneath the ceiling, on my boat the same thing is beneath the window on the port side.

https://goo.gl/photos/jmWjPBpjDzYMnKzM7

I think it is leaking somewhere around where that fabric is torn on the upper picture. I already pulled out that rotten board and tomorrow I’m cutting a new piece.
    So has anybody replaced that fabric and what have you used instead? leatherette? Was it hard to remove the old material and glue?
    Also I’m thinking maybe about putting some cork insulation on the ceiling of te front cabin because of the heat. A ventilator is a must.

Sea You
    Participant
    Lieutenant de vaisseau

hello Jazmi,

You can see a lot of pictures I took when I changed interior of NoStress here http://edelvoilier.org/galerie-photo-video/galeries-photos-des-marins/category/85-r%C3%A9novation-int%C3%A9rieure

jazmi
    Participant
    Mousse

Hi Pascal74,
    thanks for the link, I saw that photos earlier but I couldn’t find them now… They are very helpful, thanks again!
    Was it hard to remove old « fabric » from the sides?
    Was there allot of sanding afterwards? Because I’m thinking about starting before I get access to electricity.
    I’m thinking about putting 0.5 cm of cork and then the fabric for insulation and a bit softer feel against a wall-kids banging with their heads :) Which fabric did you use later? Please give me some link or some description so that I can google it.
    I would like to keep the wood (that parts that you painted blue, and it looks great) visible but I would like it to be a bit more lighter, right now it’s looking quite old and dark. Any suggestions on that? Just a varnish or should I mix it with something?
    Does anybody have any ideas as from where could my boat be leaking. It’s in line and starboard with that rotten board that I said I removed (on the picture) that sort of separates the cabin and the anchor.

Just having a cold beer so cheers everyone.

jazmi
    Participant
    Mousse

Sorry for english language but I think it would be even worse if I’d translate it with google translate.

Ok, today I went on boat to check on it, because there was some bad weather couple days ago. The boat was ok, but some other boats in port got grounded. I pulled out the old original anchor and I’m probably going to replace it with a 10 kg Kobra anchor but if I found someone who could make a replica of the old anchor I will keep it on boat as a reserve because I was very happy with it’s performance and it can remain stored in original place with the new anchor on bow. Also I took home the chain and rope to inspect.
    Then I got on the inside to and my first idea was to remove the trays in kitchen and to paint them at home aso to clean up some wooden surfaces in saloon so that I can paint them once it gets a bit hotter.
    But then I saw the water in the front cabin and then I pulled and broke triangular plywood that was glued to the anchor chain pit. After that I unscrewed the slat that was holding the top end of the leatherette but then I discovered that the wood underneath the slat was completely rotten (obviously that is where the water is leaking) and I started pulling leatherette but it’s not going as easy as I hoped.
    Here are photos:

https://goo.gl/photos/6PUGHiwWKX6b8vzt9

Now I have few questions:

Is that rotten wood on pictures constructional part of the boat, what can I replace it with, there is at least half a meter of it that is rotten. Some other wood or maybe something that would be easier to work with and insert.
    Has anybody removed the old leatherette and with what? Any chemicals or specials tools that could help or must I peel it of centimeter by centimeter

marinou
    Participant
    Matelot

I Jazmi

I finished removing all the old leatherette from my edel.
    I remove it with a wood chisel, but in some place the glue is still holding on the fiberglass.
    I’ll remove it with a rotating steel brush on a electric drill.

If your wood is totally rotten it means you have a water ingress.
    If it’s in the front of the boat, it’s probably the fixation of your bow pulpit that is leaking.
    You have screw going all the way through the deck to hull join, and it’s probably where it come from.

You should look at the wood around the shrouds chainplates. If you have water ingress here and the wood is rotten it’s not good for your mast holding.

i’ll post a video of the leatherette removing with the wood chisel.
    I know pascal did the same thing on his boat.

keep on posting updates and pictures.

jazmi
    Participant
    Mousse

Tomorrow I will try to remove it with a chisel but it’s going to be a long and tiring job. I will take some photos and maybe even a video.
    I’m really waiting to see your video since I couldn’t find anything on youtube about removing material similar to the one on my boat. It is in most places glued pretty heavily.
    When I get access to electric power (pull my boat out) I will be able to use electric drill with a steel brush.
    Yes, I suspect it is leaking from the bolts holding the bow pulpit and the wood is totally rotten so I have to remove it and put something else in it’s place after I stop the water from leaking anymore, at least temporarily until I can remove the pulpit completely and redo all the connections, bolts…
    Yes, I saw Pascal photos, but I didn’t see any that covers removing old vinyl.

jazmi
    Participant
    Mousse

On Saturday I finally manged to do some work on boat.

here is what I did:

https://goo.gl/photos/6PUGHiwWKX6b8vzt9

it wasn’t easy but I manged to scrape one side. Also I mounted new propeller. I didn’t have access to electricity so I did it by hand. Very slow, took me almost the whole day just for one side and it isn’t finished yet.

Sea You
    Participant
    Lieutenant de vaisseau

Hi Jazmi,

When I did this work, it also took a long time. Do not get discouraged, it’s on the right track ;-)

marinou
    Participant
    Matelot

Hi Jazmi,

here is a short video when i remove the headliner with a wood chisel.
    Hope this help

9 sujets de 1 à 9 (sur un total de 9)
  • Vous devez être connecté pour répondre à ce sujet.